Sometimes in this business, it can feel like we’re reading bad news every day. From dealing with the duopoly to tackling trust, it’s not easy to be part of the news industry. But as we approach Thanksgiving, we thought we’d look at a few of the reasons we’re thankful to be part of this important business.
- Between 2013 and 2018, there was a 232 percent increase in digital news circulation, according to the Pew Research Center. That means more people than ever are getting our news!
- Sixty-nine percent of U.S. adults believe the media can regain their trust, according to the Knight Foundation. That means the work we’re doing today will help us have a strong, supportive audience tomorrow.
- Meanwhile, 27 percent of Americans have a “great deal” or “quite a lot” of confidence in newspapers, according to the News Media Alliance’s News Advertising Panorama.
- The number of digital-native newsroom employees is up 20 percent since 2014, meaning more journalists are being added to our ecosystem every day, according to Pew’s 2019 State of the News Media.
- Print circulars and inserts inspire action by 71 percent of readers, while coupons inspire action in 83 percent of people, according to the Panorama, and both are widely distributed by newspapers. That means newspapers are driving consumer behavior and helping local businesses.
Want more reasons to be thankful for news media? Check out some of our past posts about all the good things going on in news!