Meetings and Membership Associate
News Media Alliance is hiring a Meetings and Membership Associate to support the membership and event initiatives of the organization. This position will be reporting to the Membership and Events Manager.
- Use queries to pull membership, event and policy-related reports in NetForum.
- Track down individual/organizational data upon request.
- Contact members to obtain updated contact information and update the information in Netforum.
- Assist Membership and Events Manager with maintaining the integrity of the Association’s main database. Among the tasks to be performed are adding or updating individual and organization data from various sources, performing regular database maintenance tasks, maintaining primary contacts at organizations, generating database output/queries and researching data anomalies.
- Responsible for answering the associations main number and membership line. Monitors and answers email requests to general emails boxes.
- Compiling membership materials.
- Providing general administrative support across the NMA organization as needed, including but not limited to the following: Maintaining calendars, making travel arrangements, scheduling meetings, processing check requests, preparing expense reports, shipping/mailing information and project management.
- Serve as backup to Executive Assistant to the CEO as needed to cover vacations, breaks and heavy workload.
Programs and Events
- Assist Membership and Events Manager with planning and organizing Alliance in-person and virtual events including Board meetings, platform events, policy events, etc. Provide logistical/administrative assistance at events as necessary.
- Assist in reviewing event contracts (i.e. hotels, caterers, entertainment, speakers, etc.).
- Implement and maintain a consistent standard for all programs and events by communicating with all teams involved.
- Assist Membership and Events Manager with facilitating all meeting preparations including but not limited to: attendance tracking, vendor/venue communication, registration, speakers, catering, ground transportation, promotional items, audiovisual needs, invitations, space and signage requirements and print production.
- Ability to work on multiple events simultaneously and manage timeline to meet deadlines.
- Assist with preparing and printing materials for program and events, including name badges, agendas and other collateral pieces.
- Book and manage travel arrangements as necessary for event participants and/or NMA staff.
- Maintain member event materials in NMA’s electronic filing system.
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular)
- Project management
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask
- Experience using NetForum or other CRM systems
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but significant professional or military experience may substitute for educational credentials, especially where the credentials may pose a barrier to candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
We believe that diversity in lived experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas strengthens journalism, its business and our own organization. The News Media Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage applications from candidates from communities traditionally underrepresented in journalism and from people of every age, race or color, ethnic background, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, socioeconomic background, disability status, medical condition, military or veteran status, and marital or familial status.
We also know there are excellent candidates who might not have all the skills and experience that we have outlined. If that describes you, please apply and tell us about yourself and share your ideas for this role. You may be the ideal candidate.
This is a full-time position with a salary between $50,000 and $65,000 commensurate with skills and experience, and the following benefits:
- 20 days of paid time off, plus major holidays (9 per year)
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) plan with a generous matching policy
- Medical and/or dependent flexible spending plan
- Paid parental leave available
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term insurance policies
- Pre-tax mass transit plan
- Professional development opportunities (for example, conference attendance or stipends for course enrollment)
NMA’s main office is located in Arlington, VA. We prefer candidates for this role who reside in the Washington, D.C. area.
Email a resume and a letter explaining your qualifications and desire for this role to email@example.com. We also invite candidates to fill out our affirmative action form here. Please include this form with your application. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Please mention “NMA Membership and Events Associate” in the subject line so we can direct your application to the right people. Please be prepared to provide three professional references upon request.