Fact Sheet originally published by MPA – The Association of Magazine Media
America needs a robust federal data privacy standard to protect consumers and their data.
Magazine publishers leverage personal data for expected, responsible business practices that benefit readers and promote newsgathering in the public interest. Businesses, including news media entities, need consistent and workable data requirements to meet reader expectations on data privacy.
MPA supports a robust national privacy standard to protect the data privacy of all Americans, everywhere. Absent a national privacy standard, inconsistent state laws would deny consumers clear information about their rights and make compliance difficult for businesses.
A BETTER SOLUTION
Federal legislation that upholds the ability of news media entities to engage in expected data practices and avoid punitive actions.
Codify universally recognized data principles. Legislation should specify consumers’ rights, clearly define unreasonable data practices, uphold consumer choice, and preserve the benefits that come from the responsible use of data.
Preserve commonly expected practices that sustain media and journalism. Legislative proposals should accommodate longstanding and expected practices related to first-party marketing, subscriber incentives, order fulfillment and loyalty programs. Newsgathering practices should be an explicit exception.
Reject a punitive private right of action. Enforcement by a well resourced Federal Trade Commission is highly effective and creates protections for American consumers wherever they reside. A broad private right of action provides no additional privacy protections for consumers and could be used to disproportionately penalize news media organizations through meritless, frivolous litigation.
- Readers trust magazine media publishers with their data and publishers take that responsibility seriously.
- Consumers deserve strong, consistent data protections that support responsible first-party data practices.
Magazine Media Delivers
Valued & trusted content
- Content that is researched, curated and edited.
- Readers value our content, such as educational, cultural, scientific, and informational content, in long-form articles and on digital platforms.
Diverse & multigenerational connections
- Read by more than 90% of U.S. adults across all age groups and demographics, including 18-25.
- A 1.5 billion audience across all its platforms – digital, mobile, video and print.
Commitment & investment to our communities
- More than 240,000 U.S. jobs supported with an annual average wage of more than $98,000.
- Trusted, long-standing first party relationship based on respect and transparency for our readers.
- Partner in environmental stewardship, using biodegradable, recyclable and certified materials.
Members of the News/Media Alliance staff have contributed to this post.