Magazines provide a trusted environment, relevant advertising that motivates readers to act
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Arlington, VA – The News/Media Alliance has released the latest installment of the Magazine Media Factbook. The Factbook provides updated research trends and data points that highlight the continued enthusiasm for magazine media, as well as the strong credibility and trust magazine media enjoy with their readers. The Factbook’s insights on magazine consumption and audience preferences aid magazine and advertising professional collaboration and enhance their advertising efforts.
The Factbook, originally a product of MPA – The Association of Magazine Publishers, which merged with the News Media Alliance on July 1, 2022, is being published this year by the newly combined organization, the News/Media Alliance. News/Media Alliance members represent many of the largest and most renowned brands in the magazine and news publishing industries. The combined industries represent over $40 billion in annual revenue.
“Magazines provide an ideal environment for advertising that inspires action, and the Magazine Media Factbook confirms that through its in-depth research statistics and insights,” said Alliance President and CEO, David Chavern. “Our members are trusted sources of information that readers want and need, with thoughtful, relevant and interesting ads that make readers feel heard and understood. That translates to more sales and a greater return on investment for marketers.”
Highlights from the 2022 Magazine Media Factbook:
- Overall audience across print and digital grew in 2021 to 222.2 million readers.
- Magazine launches rebounded from the height of the pandemic, doubling to 122 new titles in 2021.
- More than half of individuals in every age group interact with magazines on social media.
- People of all ages still enjoy experiencing magazines in print, including nearly six in ten 18-34 year-olds (58 percent) who say they love the touch and feel of a printed magazine.
- Magazine readers influence others’ shopping behaviors and are above-average spenders in several purchasing categories.
- Devoted magazine readers are wealthier, enjoy exclusive luxury products and services, and are more likely to pay premium prices in certain retail categories.
- Advertising in magazine media is effective:
- Over 90 percent of women 18-34 took action after seeing an ad in both a magazine and its website, and research from Dynata shows that magazine prints ads provide brand lift when it comes to growing consumer awareness and purchase intent.
- Fifty-seven percent of adults ages 18-49 say ads in magazines fit well with the content, more than other media.
- The number of magazine website advertisers increased 23 percent in 2021 vs. 2020.
Alliance members can access the full Factbook here (member login required). All others may request a copy of the Factbook by emailing Alliance Vice President of Research & Insights, Rebecca Frank at email@example.com.
The News/Media Alliance is a nonprofit organization representing more than 2,000 news and magazine media organizations and their multiplatform businesses in the United States and globally. Alliance members include print and digital publishers of original journalism. Headquartered just outside Washington, D.C., the association focuses on ensuring the future of journalism through communication, research, advocacy, and innovation. Information about the News/Media Alliance can be found at www.newsmediaalliance.org.
Members of the News/Media Alliance staff have contributed to this post.