The Copyright Office Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) has been published in the Federal Register.
The NPRM proposes the following:
• The proposed rule will amend the deposit requirements by requiring applicants to upload their newspapers in digital form through the electronic registration system.
• The proposed rule confirms that deposits submitted for the purpose of group registration will satisfy the mandatory deposit requirement under section 407 of the statute, and will not be subject to the best edition requirement.
• The specifications for the digital submissions under (C)(1) of the proposed rules look much like what came out of the pilot that concluded this summer, see attached for reference.
• The transition period will allow for the continued voluntary submission of microfilm in addition to the PDF deposit until December 31, 2019. After that microfilm will no longer be allowed.
• The comment closing date is 30 days, December 6, 2017.
View the News Media Alliance blog post on the Copyright Office NPRM.