FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Arlington, VA – The News/Media Alliance has elected Maribel Perez Wadsworth, President of Gannett Media, as its Chair of the Board of Directors for the 2022-2024 term. Perez Wadsworth, who previously served as Vice Chair, succeeds Toni Bush, Executive Vice President and Global Head of Government Affairs at News Corp.
Perez Wadsworth and the Board will continue to navigate the challenging media landscape and intensely advocate on behalf of the industry, implementing new strategies and initiatives to help the news and magazine media industries continue to thrive.
“Maribel is an invaluable member of the Alliance Board and we are excited for her to help lead the Alliance’s strategy as Chair,” said Alliance President and CEO David Chavern. “The media landscape continues to evolve, but what hasn’t changed is the importance of quality journalism for keeping the public informed. Our mission – to ensure the sustainability of the industry through growing subscribers and getting a better deal from the tech platforms for use of our content – is more important than ever and I look forward to continued collaboration with Maribel to tell our story.”
Perez Wadsworth’s more than 25 years of business and industry expertise includes running Gannett’s news division overseeing more than 4,000 journalists across more than 230 local news organizations and the flagship publication USA TODAY, to which she was named publisher in 2018. In 2015, she was named Gannett’s first Chief Strategy and Transformation Officer and has helped architect Gannett’s digital subscription strategy. She is also a recognized leader in the development of women and minority leaders in the newsroom.
“It is an honor to serve as Chair of the News/Media Alliance,” Perez Wadsworth stated. “I am a firm believer in the critical and enormously beneficial role journalism serves in a healthy and democratic society. As we see the dangers of mis- and disinformation and how they have spread on digital platforms, it underscores even more the need for credible, trusted news sources in our country, especially in our local communities. The Alliance is helping ensure a sustainable future for journalism through the incredible advocacy work, research and programs for publishers, and I am excited to help continue their critical work on behalf of the news media industry as Chair.”
Other Alliance officers elected include Debby Krenek, Publisher, Newsday Media Group, LLC (Vice Chair); Rebecca Grossman-Cohen, SVP, Chief of Staff to the CEO, The New York Times (Secretary); and Mike Riggs, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Magazine Operations, Dotdash Meredith (Treasurer).
Other Alliance directors elected to initial two-year terms (2022-2024) on the News/Media Alliance Board of Directors are:
- Mark Adams, President & CEO, Adams Publishing Group
- Gillian Akai, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel, PostMedia Network Canada Corp.
- Mark Buse, Head of Government Relations, IAC, SVP, Head of Global Government Relations and Policy, Match Group
- Debi Chirichella, President, Hearst Magazines
- Jeffrey Dorsey, Chief Operating Officer, McClatchy
- Lauren Fisher, Chief Legal Officer, Vox Media
- Bonnie Kintzer, President and Chief Executive Officer, Trusted Media Brands
- Roger Lynch, Chief Executive Officer, Condé Nast
- Doug Olson, President & Chief Media Officer, A360 Media
- Burke Olsen, VP & Head Digital Officer, Deseret News
- Mike Riggs, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Magazine Operations, Dotdash Meredith
- Todd Thorpe, Global Head of Government Affairs, News Corp
- Pam Wasserstein, President, Vox Media
The News/Media Alliance is a nonprofit organization representing more than 2,000 news and magazine media organizations and their multiplatform businesses in the United States and globally. Alliance members include print and digital publishers of original journalism. Headquartered just outside Washington, D.C., the association focuses on ensuring the future of journalism through communication, research, advocacy, and innovation. Information about the News/Media Alliance can be found at www.newsmediaalliance.org.
Members of the News/Media Alliance staff have contributed to this post.